Tuesday, December 24, 2013

1st Step: Merisik, DONE!



Apologies for the delayed update, peeps!
 Had been busy with the merisik event, work, outings with friends and loved ones, upcoming holiday and preparations to update just one post. (PHEW! That is alot of things I have on my checklist.. :P)

Anyways, wondering about the photo above?
 That is a tanda merisik.
It is a gift given by the future groom side, to the future bride side, to denote that the lady has been asked for their hand in marriage. As informed by my parents, it could be a gift like the above, or even a ring! I was not even aware about this tradition as no one briefed me earlier when I had discussions with my mum or my cousin. But it is okay, at least, my parents were not expecting an actual ring! ;)

Back to the story,
I still had work on Saturday, so after work I rushed home to do what I had listed in the checklist before. As I was helping out with my mum and siblings at the kitchen, I asked the BONUS question (eitherwise known as SOALAN CEPUMAS!), " So, what am I supposed to do during the discussions? Am I supposed to help out? Hide out in the room? (which is the most common answer I get...) Can I sleep while waiting? (Perangai tak senonoh sungguh! =P)
And my mum answered,"Eh, you cannot sleep! What if the future groom side wants to slip a ring on your finger?"
My reaction: Eyes opened wide, mouth in the shape of an 'O' and if my life is in a comic strip, alarm bells with question marks and exclamation marks would have decorated all around my head.
I was really surprised. And my reaction: I just answered, "Oh, it's okay. I did'nt ask for a ring."
"WAH! Pelokek (Stingy!),"  mum replied nonchalantly.

Then, hell broke loose.
I was hurt 'cos I took it to heart about the comment she made about E. I still get defensive whenever my mum makes those kind of 'sarcastic' comments about us and sometimes, I really wonder whether the kind of treatment I got is especially just for me, or it is just my mum.
Anyways, I threw a tantrum, with my mum and then my dad, and I guess my mum is still reeling from shock. I know I am partly wrong, and I did apologise, but I am still alil bit sore about it.
(HAIZ. Story of my life.)
To cut the story short, I had to make sure everything is okay before the future groom side comes over. But once they came, I panicked. I guess, it is just me. From E's side, his parents, brother and family, Pak Ngah, Mak Ngah and grandmother came. Seeing my panicked expression, all my siblings pitched in and helped out with the preparation of the drinks and food (my mum cooked laksa! YUMMY!). I only helped out to serve the drinks before being shooed out to my room to wait until all the discussions are over. I still dunnoe why the routine happens that way, but like my cousin said, "It's good, what.. Can rest! Hee." But all the while, I was wondering whhheenn it would end, so I can find out all the JUICY details about the engagement. While hiding out in my room, I could hear my father chatting, E's parents laughing, but I couldn't see anything. I just enjoyed watching Dira, E's niece, playing with my siblings. And that is all.


Once I heard that all the details have been confirmed and everyone was moving out, I exited my room and started to 'salam' the guests - and got another shock when I saw my aunts and uncle also present! :) Alhamdulillah! I felt really grateful to have them present too, 'cos their presence was really assuring. After that, we had a short discussion, sharing of tips and of course, cleaning up. (Which I did. 'cos now it is my turn. =P)

So anyways, that is my experience of 'merisik'. I know it differs from person to person, so do you have anything interesting to share?
 Leave a comment on the tagboard~
For those who wanna know about the details of the engagement, stay tuned for the next post! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment